The old Contract with America managed to help elect some fringe characters and elevate some particularly nasty ones. Now the same forces are trying again with the Values Voters' Contract with Congress.
"Leaders of values voters [a stellar group of thought leaders, believe me] believe that we need a common declaration of our values and a common plan for solving the problems facing America."
They've just completed a conference in Washington, and now they are raising money to advance their handiwork. I tried to download the convenient wallet card version to share with you, but got a "page not found" error. Here's a summary from the short version of the contract, with screaming type and Gothic initials intact, but without legislative detail:
e are citizens of the United States of America and subjects of the sovereign Creator, acknowledged in the Declaration of Independence as the Supreme Ruler and Judge of the World. We strongly affirm our allegiance to the Constitution of the United States, and are moved by our faith in God to join together now to defend government of, by, and for the people against the greatest assault it has ever faced: the destruction of our Constitutionally-mandated republican form of government by judges who legislate from the bench and, thereby, subvert our liberty and our entire way of life.
n defense of our national principles, our Constitution of self-government, our decent character, and our shared national identity, we the undersigned citizens of the United States come together in support of actions we hereby agree to be right and necessary for the common good of all.
e therefore seek the following:
1. TO AFFIRM the national relationship with God in our places of worship, schools, mottos, and public spaces
2. TO SECURE our national interest in the institutions of marriage and family
3. TO SECURE our fundamental right as parents to the care, custody, and control of our children
4. TO SECURE our God-bestowed right to life
5. TO SECURE our God-granted liberties
6. TO SECURE our God-given stewardship of property
7. TO SECURE an environment of decency that is free from pornography and obscenity
8. TO SECURE just taxes, and end immorally destructive taxation
9. TO SECURE our national borders and identity
10. Judges who legislate from the bench subvert our republican form
of government of the people, by the people, and for the people, and
threaten all these legislative aims.
THEREFORE, WE URGENTLY CALL FOR Judicial Restraint, and an end to Judicial Activism.
bove every consideration of selfish passion, ambition, or interest, we hold to the ultimate intention of our Constitution: to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity. For this purpose, and in support of the beliefs and actions we have herein declared, we pledge our lives, our fortunes, and our faithfulness, so help us God.
You can sign here.