Texas Gov. Rick Perry is only posturing about secession, but Texas Congressman Ron Paul says secession is as American as shooting your quail hunting buddy in the face.
I can think of a few reasons why leaving the union might not be all that peachy for Texas.
- Texas will have to get over its obsession with size once and for all and accept that it ranks between Zambia and Myanmar.
- "Lone Star Nation" doesn't have the same ring.
- Six Flags Over Texas would have to rebrand.
- We'd see how well Texas gets along without an income tax once it has to provision an Army, monitor borders, deliver mail, etc.
- At least we'd be done with that Dallas Cowboys are America's Team nonsense.
And there are some unanswered questions, too.
- What will Palin do in 2012 if there's no Texas?
- Will Texas need an extradition treaty with Oklahoma to bring back runaway legislators?
- Will the U.S. be allowed to keep its bases there?
- Will Texas want the bomb?
- Will the official currency remain the dollar, or will Texas adopt the .22, .38, .45, and .50 API standard?
- Will South by Southwest move to Santa Fe?
- Would Alberto Gonzales seek asylum, and would President Delay grant it?